Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Good news!

I'm finally legal!  After being unemployed for six months (one to visit relatives, one before getting married, and four waiting for UDI to approve) I am allowed to find work, go to a doctor, and most importantly, sign up for a language class!  I visited the Oslo Voksenopplæring office on Monday to get placed and I think I passed to level A2!  I applied to take courses 3 or 4 days per week, which should be a pretty intense courseload but I can do it.  I mean, I studied two languages in college at the same time (French and Japanese) so I think I should be able to handle 12-16 hours a week of just one.

I've also started babysitting!  It's not glamourous or exciting but it's really nice to have some pocket money and not have to ask my husband to buy my hairspray or the occasional Walter's Mandler (when it's onsale, like it is at Meny right now.)

Please keep your fingers crossed that I will get into a language class soon!

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your blog through a comment on someone else's and your post about not wanting to hang out with people who bitch about vaccines and autism made me all excited! Life is too short to listen to that crap. I've worked with autism both in Norway and the US, for almost 9 years now, and every now and then you meet one of those people you just wanna shake and yell WAKE UP at:) More so in the US I guess, but I've encountered a few of them here too.. This concludes my rant.

    Also, congrats on being legal!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I cut off all ties from those crazy ladies! I'm thinking about continuing to work in autism once my norwegian skill increase. Do you have any advice or agency recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are tons of available jobs at different group homes for both kids and adults with autism, both private and public. Just search for omsorgsbolig and titles like miljøarbeider or miljøterapeut.

    There are also a lot of autism groups at various schools. I work at a junior high school group for kids with Asperger syndrome and high functioning autism. The main autism resource in Oslo is Nordvoll skole, I took leave from my current job to work there last year, they do lots of courses and counseling as well as being a 1-12 school:)

    ReplyDelete